A New Morning

Eureka!  I finally figured out a way to put a few cushions used for sitting under a blanket to form a psuedo mattress.  It isn't exactly comfortable, but it's drastically better than what I've been sleeping on.  I also got almost 8 hours of sleep last night!  I feel like a new man (though a bit stiff and sore still).  Today is also one of our very late days, so I was able to get up and be quiet at 6AM, which allowed me to snag some good prayer and reflection time before Dojo cleaning around 7AM (I also took down some clothes from the drying rack that sits outside the dojo window under an awning--it has begun raining heavily and our clothes will get wet if the wind blows enough, which it was). 

The reflection and centering time was quite worthwhile--it helped me get back into my usual spiritual perspective, which is Christ-focused/Kingdom focused first.  To my Aikido friends from a different faith background, I would explain it as entering the 'do' or 'way' of Christ mindset and living it out in the individual moments.  It helps me look at things in a better way by clarifying my priorities and motivations.  For instance, if I just wake up in a hurry and start dojo cleaning when told to, it's because my priority is being a good uchideshi, and while I will work hard and well, I may resent the interruption of whatever I'm doing (because that perspective is ultimately centered on me and my performance at a task, and thus it's 'center' is still about me/selfish).  If, however, I center spiritually like I did this morning, I am already 'centered' and 'extended'/aware of the sounds of the others getting up and preparing for dojo cleaning, and I look at it as an opportunity to serve/love (the way of Christ) and to blend (the way of Harmony/Aikido/Christ) instead of an interruption because the focus is on living out the way of Christ in each moment and on others' wants and needs.  To truly love/serve others, we must listen and understand where they are at and what they want/need--it's necessary to love well or to 'blend/harmonize' well with them.  Spiritual centering daily helps me be in that mindset.

Anyway, after dojo cleaning and breakfast, I have had a nice spiritual time reflecting and reading my Bible, and now I'm preparing to do my stretches, clean myself up, go through some language notes, and head off to my first morning of Japanese language class.  If there's time (which I currently doubt), I may also run by 7-11 or the local grocery store to get milk and eggs for tomorrow's breakfast.  We'll see.  Anyway, I'm trying to get better about giving these more frequent updates now that I'm figuring out the local schedule better, and I hope to make the time to back-fill the first few days soon!

PS Some pictures of the drying rack system at the dojo.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrist Wraps, Setting Suns, and Propane Trucks

Physical Renewal, Spiritual Renewal-and a bear really needs a doctor!

Oxford, Dusseldorf, and Home plus Final Reflections (and Cherry Blossoms!)