Knee Improvements, Japanese Western food, and so much more

So first good thing to report--my knee is doing quite a bit better overall.  I can fully bend it now and use it at close to normal levels.  I'd legitimately call it an answer to prayers (thank you to those who have been praying for me).  It also may have been helped by Himi-san's ultrasound and electroshock therapy, and I do think it is primarily an overuse injury, not a deeper/more permanent injury (at least that's my hope, but the pretty extreme improvement in so little time would seem to support that; I originally had trouble walking, now I can almost go normally up and down stairs and it's only a few days later).  I plan to still take it pretty gently as I haven't tested it under ukemi conditions yet (falling in techniques), and I definitely don't plan to strain it with suwariwaza or seiza yet (techniques done on the knees and kneeling--putting direct pressure on the knees).  I now tentatively hope to be taking regular ukemi (falling) though before I leave Japan, which is great.  I'm also having to be a bit careful as my 'good' left knee is hurting almost as much as the right (a good sign that the right is hurting much less, too) due to overuse--it's done a lot of one-legged squats lately.  I just have to be careful to 'balance them out' now that the right can bear some load again.

So to catch up after my last update: after adult lunch class the afternoon of my last post, I went out for lunch with Hiromi, Kevin, and Shunyi (a Hungarian past uchideshi who now lives and trains here).  We were going to be going to a katsu place (delicious meat), but they had sold out of food!  As such, we ended up going to a Japanese steakhouse, which cracked me up to no end.  The whole place was supposed to be 'Wild West' themed, but coming from the actual historical 'Wild West' the imitation was just so blatant and slightly incorrect that I had to keep from chuckling multiple times.  It was like I was back in Kansas, Toto--or at least some strange version of it.  I don't know if you can see the gal in the back, but her outfit was definitely an imitation of cowboy garb except with a cute Australian outback kind of hat and high-heel boots.  The menus were actual saloon window replicas, though, which was cool.





Then it was time for the next Aikido class, and I treated those testing to a hot spring.  Yano-san, O-san and Lin-san's first Aikido teacher who had previously bought us a meal, also showed up at the hot springs and bought us a meal afterwards.  He also does acupuncture and wants to maybe work on my knee later--I'm a bit uncertain as it seems to be getting better, but I doubt it would hurt anything.  We'll see how that times out.  (Picture of the outside of the hot springs)


The following day we headed out to hombu dojo (national headquarters).  I had the honor of being otomo for Soshihan (carrying his bags and helping him change etc.) during the Kobayashi Dojo test done at hombu dojo (they rent the whole building for one afternoon to do all their kyu and dan tests).  It was pretty impressively large--these are the dojo shoe racks--overflowing to the point that shoes had to be lined up by the entrance.

To give a point of reference, I think those shelves have capacity for abut 220 people.  On our way to the dojo we met Koyinagi Sensei, whom we were supposed to meet at the dojo later, so we chatted briefly and then ran ahead for when he got there.  Doshu (international leader of Aikido) and his son (the next Doshu, Waka-Sensei) were both heading out as we arrived and politely nodded their heads to us.  Kanaza Sensei, who I'd also had class under, headed out just after (and we later ran into Waka Sensei again--he reminds me a bit of a younger Toyoda Sensei). 

I helped set a few things up, and then we found out Soshihan was going to arrive about an hour later than anticipated, so I got to go upstairs and watch people practice in the second-floor practice space.



Eventually, when he was near to arriving, I headed down and waited near the commemorative statue of O-Sensei.
Sure enough, right after Barbara Sensei, Soshihan walked casually in with no entourage.  I followed him with his things into Doshu's changing room, and I helped him get ready for running class.  Afterwards, he told me to take the bag upstairs and wait.  I had some confusion when he didn't show up for quite awhile, but eventually someone arrived who told me to go ahead and sit down to watch the test.  (A picture of the 3rd floor room where the tests were held).


Watching the test was interesting--I was able to keep my legs only somewhat bent, but I was also very tired and in the back corner of the mats, unable to see over many of the people in front of me at certain moments.  As such, I dozed in and out frequently until some of the higher level tests finally came.  Thankfully I was able to stay awake and watch those--the requirements are very different from our own, but most of the students seemed reasonably skilled at what they needed to do.

Afterwards, the Sensei deliberated and then announced results, and I hurried after Soshihan to help him change and take care of his bag.  On the way out, Lin-san joined us, and she and I walked with Soshihan to a restaurant where a celebratory party was held.  The path was interesting as it wound through some back alleys, past a beautiful little stream, and through the red light district (plus past Godzilla).

Ultimately, though, we arrived and had good drink and food and laughter with everyone.  This was one of those instances where you could see more of the organization-wide community that existed.

We headed back to our dojos after the party, though each group had its own secondary party (the Sensei went somewhere downtown, Lin and the Kodaira crew did karaoke, Kevin, Hiromi, Aki, and I got some food with Kevin and walked the rest of the way back).

The following day (today), we got up and ate and chatted with Kevin-san as he packed and prepared to head out.  He was quite excited to be done with his 7-month term.  It had been good and he'd gained a lot, but he was ready to be free.  I will definitely miss seeing him around--he's a very good friend that I've made here--but he'll be back later before I go and without the responsibilities of being an uchideshi, so it will be nice to see him on his own terms in his newfound freedom.

We then headed out to the subway to meet Soshihan and Lin and Anya at Tokorozawa station.  O-san and I waited for the crew for awhile, and we eventually met Lin-san who told us to hurry.  We ran down an escalator with Soshihan (who moves quite well despite his age) and got on the train, but then we noticed Anya wasn't to be seen.  After a brief interval, the train departed, still without her in sight.  We ended up in Chinatown, where we walked around with Sensei, talked a bit, and ate (he was generous enough to buy us food at an all-you-can-eat ordering restaurant). 



Eventually Lin helped Anya find her way to meeting us.  After lunch, Sensei had to go back home, so he left us with a guidebook and told us to go see sights.  We walked around Chinatown briefly and then headed to a beautiful park.





At the park, I headed out from the rest of the group who wanted to tour an old boat so I could reflect a bit and enjoy some actual alone-time on my way back to the dojo.

One thing I will reflect on here--serving Kobayashi Shihan during testing and hanging out with him during lunch were two of the first times that I have really felt like uchideshi here.  I've done a bunch of cleaning, training, and other service to the dojo, but to me an uchideshi primarily serves Sensei, so it has been great to be able to see him and interact with him more.

Japanese Ingenuity #3
Don't want central heating but want that fast gas-line heating anyway?  Why not pipe it in and use hoses to run it and electricity to small heating units?
PS This has been great knee recovery time with testing followed by our off day.  Tomorrow we only have the one class as we now get to join Sensei heading to a mountain by bullet train in the late morning, and then I just found out Wednesday is a national holiday so there will be no class.  Talk about a serious knee break (and pace break--the chance to maybe get more sleep is a welcome one!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrist Wraps, Setting Suns, and Propane Trucks

Physical Renewal, Spiritual Renewal-and a bear really needs a doctor!

Oxford, Dusseldorf, and Home plus Final Reflections (and Cherry Blossoms!)