Sunset, Sunrise

I had the pleasure of attending Fuchu Dojo taught by Koyinagi Sensei Tuesday morning instead of my language class (and will continue that pattern as Hiroaki Sensei gave me permission for it).  It took a fairly complex series of trains to get to (three total lines with walking between), but we did pass some neat sights.


Once there, I noticed that some of the 'gem'/good ukes were present.  Also, the energy was more laid back and joyful.  It reminded me a bit of Soshihan's women's class (one gal who I've only ever seen at Soshihan's women's class was even there).  As it got going, I also saw the teacher break down the technique with excellent information to help people do it better!  (That's severely surprising--only a handful of individuals over here 'teach' in the way we Westerners think of; most people just show the technique).  Not only that, but he did it with smiles, laughs, and skill.  I was blown away and completely pleased.  As the class progressed, my partners realized I wasn't a crazy, forceful American and began trusting me with new students too (over half the Dojo--and most of the new students--were women, which would make one of my American Sensei friends happy).  Even the new students had connectivity and looseness in their Aikido!  In fact, I didn't run into one poor uke/nage.  I was thoroughly impressed.  Tea afterwards was less formal than usual (though still formal versus how we might do it in the States), and it was geared towards genuine community.  Inside I was glowing and truly, deeply, happy.  It looked like Soshihan's legacy was alive and well among his students after all.  This very much mimicked the feel of his classes and his energy/light, and it was on the rise!

Don't get me wrong, the light/energy is different from Soshihan's--every person has their own unique Aikido.  It's also not the only place Soshihan's legacy is present here--Hiroaki Sensei has some of it, too.  The main difference is that Soshihan is very approachable and down-to-earth as is Koyinagi Sensei, whereas Hiroaki Sensei is more above everyone--even as he smiles and laughs during tea and class (he has more of a formal, Sensei/head of an association feel).  As such, Hiroaki Sensei does have some good energy and light in his dojo--with a very heavy does of high quality, skilled technique.  Koyinagi Sensei has excellent energy and community in his Dojo (absolutely top-notch), with still legitimate skill and technique.  I hear Igarashi Sensei is like Koyinagi Sensei, too.  If that's true, that's good to hear.  One final sign of a truly great teacher is that as their sun sets, multiple new suns rise.

Japanese Ingenuity #1
What do you use to help blind people get around major cities?  Lights that have beeps to indicate when a person can cross, and ridged lines with intermittent bumps that run from every Subway and Train Station to every other subway and train station with unique configurations of bumps to show street crossings, restrooms, and more!
Bonus footage: My first Japanese car ride (after Fuchu we went to lunch with one of the students and she dropped us off at the subway line). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrist Wraps, Setting Suns, and Propane Trucks

Physical Renewal, Spiritual Renewal-and a bear really needs a doctor!

Oxford, Dusseldorf, and Home plus Final Reflections (and Cherry Blossoms!)